Monday, February 9, 2009

Keep Moving Forward

I’m not a coffee drinker, and trust me I’ve tried pretty hard to like it on more than one occasion. So I get my caffeine from chocolate, hot tea, and Diet Coke, it’s kind of a necessity when you spend your days caring for 2 young children. I’m pretty sure a lot of people would say that the life of a “stay-at-home mom” of 2 and a half is hardly worth reading, but if it’s good enough for me maybe I’ll occasionally find something in my day worth sharing :) Mostly it’s the same routine, but there is nothing like the incredible joy and overwhelming responsibility of raising children whether you do it hands on full time or you work away from home to support them. 

This past year has been an incredible challenge for my family. Between John having to close his law practice and go 13 hours away to active duty, loosing 3 loved ones in the span of just 6 months, facing the stress an unplanned pregnancy brings, knowing that John comes home in 2 months and is still without a job, and looking around and seeing family and friends I care deeply about struggling with their own difficulties great and small it would have been easy to become discouraged. But God has given me incredible peace and my dad’s personality so stress never comes easily and I have been able to see blessings where many would see only pain. I have so many things to be thankful for! I certainly have a new appreciation for single moms, my marriage relationship has really grown from time apart when it could have suffered, and how can I not feel blessed to be part of the miracle of life when so many are unable? Not to mention our great fortune that John was still in the states and able to come home occasionally. SO I keep my focus on what I can do now to make the best of my situation and look forward to seeing how God will use this thankful for the promise of Romans 8:28, and knowing from very real experience that His strength is sufficient to get me through any circumstance. 

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:12-13

4 comments:

  1. Good job! I know you all have had a rough year. Hopefully 2009 will be a great one for you. We had a pretty sucky 2008 ourselves so we know first hand about losing all the loved ones. I know I went to my fair share of funeral homes last year as well. Take care and know I am always here for you, Wood, and the kids. So is Joey and Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know so much of your struggles from the past year. Well it has been a few years since we've really talked. I'm looking forward to keeping up with you and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers. I don't know the struggle of kids or my husband being away, but I do know the struggle of the economy and looking for jobs. It's amazing how you can reconnect through the internet! I'm here for ya. Let me know if you're ever in Lex. I'd love to meet your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, your life is certainly worth reading about! I KNOW that you are an amazing mom and I've never seen you interact with your children. I look forward to reading any thing that you share :)
    Rhea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, so good to see your blog. Wow God really has you on a journey, and the story he has written will leave a legacy on your children... i can wait to see what he has in store. Wow three children.... you are a super mom! OR will be when little bit arrives!

    ReplyDelete